Sunday, March 20, 2011

EXPLORING POMPEII AND MOUNT VESUVIUS

After spending most of my days relaxing and observing the natural beauty the Amalfi coast has to offer I would book a car service with a driver through Le Sirenuse for a daytrip to Pompei. Pompei is currently a city with a population of 25,671. It is most famous for Ancient Pompeii, a partially buried Roman city. Pompeii was destroyed and completely buried during a long catastrophobic eruption of the volcano Mount Vesuvius. The eruption buried Pompeii under 4 to 6 metures of ash and it was lost for 1,500 years before it's accidental rediscovery in 1599. This site would be a great way to finish off my trip as it would provide an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city at the height of the Roman Empire. I would book the english "Grand Tour" for the day so I could learn everything about the excavated city.




Above: The excavated site of Ancient Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius.



Mount Vesuvius:

After my days spent hiking up the stairs of the hillside at Positano I figure I should be in fine shape to hike up Mount Vesuvius. No tour guide is needed for the hike as the trail is said to be marked extremely well. At the top you get a great view of the cities in the surrounding area, as well as the Bay of Naples. You are also able to walk a good ways around the opening of the volcano. The history of the volcano with the opportunity to look inside it makes it worth it for the 5 euros it costs.




Above: The pathway I'd have to hike up to reach the mouth of Mount Vesuvius.
After my day at Pompeii is complete I'd meet up with the car service to head back to Positano to get my bags packed and ready to catch my ferry early the next morning to Naples Central Station. Not only will I be travelling with souvenirs material goods only available in the Amalfi Coast, but also a knowledge of where my family came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment