Sunday, March 20, 2011

ACTIVITIES IN POSITANO

WHAT TO DO?
Positano's unique hillside location on the coast defines it as a leisure destination for one seeking modern relaxation. Positano is a destination that provides natural treasures that are not available anywhere else in the world. These treasures are not made my man and are entrenched in Italy's history. In order to enjoy them one must visit the Amalfi Coast and experience them first hand. The activities I have planned I wouldn't consider to be the average tour of historical landmarks one may experience in Rome, Venice, or Florence. Instead I would define them as witnessing the beauties of the earth in one the most picturesque towns along the side of Italy.

1. The Beaches:

The beaches in Positano are an attraction on their own. The beaches in Positano are full of gray sand and volcancic rock that stretch far along the coast. No beach in the Caribbean can provide the view one may witness out at sea gazing up the hillside. My accommodation at Le Sirenuse provides a private beach area siutated on the rocks with lounges I plan on enjoying everyday. Here I will indulge in the finest daily breakfast specials starting the day off right. If I want to meet other tourists closer to my age that are not on a "dream vacation"I can always rent a chair and umbrella in the public beach area. The central Spiaggia Grande which is the boutique of shops, wine bars, and restaurtants is also situated along the beach appealing to the visiting crowd.

2. La Grotto dello Smeraldo:

I'd plan to visit the Grotto dello Smeraldo on day two of my vacation. Located on the outskirts of Conca de Marini, the Grotto dello Smeraldo is a much-touted stop for daytippers like myself. The natural grotto is called the "emerald" because the sun comes in through a tunnel under the water, making the water an emerald colour.  I plan on arriving at the caves by boat at noon to 3 PM as that is when the light is said to be best. Also at this time other "tourists" will be busy tucking into their pasta elsewhere. Although I must travel by water to reach the grotto, the Amalfi seaport makes the caves very accessible with boats heading their on the hour.

3. Music on the Rocks:

Music on the Rocks is a lounge/disco club set in a seaside cave off the Spaggia Grande beach. Celebrities such as Leonardo di Caprio, Kate Moss, and Denzel Washington claim Music on the Rocks to be their favourite nightclub on the planet. I plan on spending every night meeting new people at this club experiencing the region's best DJs. The crowd is said to be in my age range and would be a great hangout to meet people and seek new destinations and daytrips. I have to be careful not to get too inebriated on the local Limoncello as the 250 step walk back to my palazzo may be rather treacherous. Even the nightclubs in Positano manage to be one of a kind attractions.

4. Hiking

Hiking the "Senteiro degli Dei" (Path of the Gods) which starts in the small hamlet of Nocelle 1,500 feet above the coastline and descends 1,700 steps to the town and beach below. Just getting around Positano provides great exercise.


Above: The typical steps you have to hike to get around the hillside.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment